By-laws of the Brookings Harbor Tea Party
I. Board of Directors
1. The Board of Directors shall serve without pay and consist of five members or such number as may be approved by the Board.
2. Board members shall serve a one-year term, with vacant positions filled by the Board, with the recommendation of the Chairperson.
3. Upon completion of one year, the Board shall determine subsequent and perhaps staggered terms of office for each position.
4. Board members with two consecutive absences may be dismissed from the Board.
1. The officers of the Board shall consist of a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer nominated by the Board.
2. The Chair shall preside at Board meetings and perform other duties as associated with the office. The Vice-Chair shall assume the duties of the Chair in case of the Chair’s absence. The Secretary shall be responsible for the minutes of the Board, keep all approved minutes in a minute book, and shall review the minutes of the prior meeting near the beginning of each meeting. The Treasurer shall (a) keep records of the organization’s budget and prepare financial reports as needed and (b) file state and federal documents as required.
3. Elected officers shall serve a term of one year, in accordance with Paragraph I.
1. A majority of board members constitutes a quorum. In absence of a quorum, no formal action shall be taken except to adjourn the meeting to a subsequent date.
2. Passage of a motion requires a simple majority.
1. Regular meetings shall be held about once a month at a time and place selected by the Board. Special meetings may be held at any time when called for by the Chair or a majority of Board members.
2. Meeting agendas shall be provided at least one day in advance, via email.
V. Action Teams
1. The Board shall appoint standing and ad hoc Action Teams (or committees) as needed, to promote the mission of the Brookings Harbor Tea Party.
2. A person appointed as a Team Leader shall be responsible for: (a) reviewing with the Board responsibilities of the Team, (b) recruiting, selecting and directing members of the Team, (c) providing a brief summary of Team activities, as requested by the Board, but at least once every 60 days, and (d) assisting the manager/editor of Brookingstea.com in developing text for web site or other publication.
1. One member of the Board or other individual shall be selected to organize, publicize and direct monthly events where, as part of each event, (a) there will be a brief program, with a guest speaker or other focus of the meeting, (b) Action Team Leaders will be encouraged to report on Team activities and (c) the general public may be invited to participate in a discussion of issues.
2. Insofar as possible, the events will be conducted at the same time and place each month, (such as the third Saturday of the month, beginning in April, 2011).
1. The Board is committed to growing and maintaining the Brookings Harbor Tea Party as an independent entity, but with cooperative relationships with other like-minded organizations.
VIII. Conflict of Interest
1. Any member of the board who has a financial, personal, or official interest in, or conflict (or appearance of a conflict) with any matter pending before the Board, of such nature that it prevents or may prevent that member from acting on the matter in an impartial manner, will offer to the Board to voluntarily excuse him/herself and will vacate his seat or refrain from discussion and voting on said item.
IX. Fiscal Policies
1. The fiscal year of the Board shall begin on the first day of January.
1. These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of Board members present at any meeting, provided a quorum is present with a copy of the proposed amendment(s) provided to each Board member at least one week prior to said meeting.
1. These bylaws are approved by a two-thirds vote of Board members on June 1, 2011.
Chair: (s) Clyde Burke Vice Chair: (s) Thomas Huxley